Monday, February 15, 2010

My Visual Essay

I wanted to post my visual essay here, so that you could see what I was talking about, but I have yet to find a way to do that so you will just have to look at this one... :)

Here are my reflections after having made mine:

I can build (and have done so) a computer from bottom up. I selected each piece of hardware that went into it, choosing sound and video cards based of their processing abilities and clarity and a case based on its aesthetic appeal. Yet, when working on this essay, I had scanner issues that were only overcome by employing a friend to help. I also used iMovie for the first time and was able to navigate my way through this program and didn’t feel limited by its features or my lack of experience with it until I tried to upload my finished product. The file was too big for youtube, but there is a feature built into iMovie so that with a meager two clicks it is on youtube and ready to go. However, there isn’t a built in fall back for files that are too big, there seems to be no way to brake the film into smaller chucks to be viewed in parts, as is the youtube way.

This left me in the old place of being at the third level of literacy, where I was question the technology I had, looking for ways to use technology I had in ways it wasn’t meant to be used but would accomplish what I was trying to do, and creating technology all while not even being functional literate given my scanner issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment